Well, so much for sleeping all night in my own bed! I woke up at 4:00 am and laid there, trying to will my body back to sleep -- after all, I don't have a meeting to go to nor any homeworke to do and intended to "sleep in!" But my mind started racing in reference to this "last Salzburg blog" not allowing me to rest! So, here are some random thoughts so that I CAN go back to bed and "sleep in!"
This last week in Salzburg has been an eye opening week, a week of affirmation, and a very full week of learning for me. There is so much that I did not know and do not know (hey, don't agree so heartily on what I don't know! :)). Mary Catherine Bates affirmed for me that curiosity and respect for people is of great importance. Indifference causes a wide gulf! The greatest joy for me has been meeting so many people who are interested in other people as people. It has not been a week of indifference, but rather a week wherein a group of students from two different colleges and faculty who have traveled the world were curious about each other and so very respectful of others' life experiences.
This has been a week of questions and thought provoking statements in which we, the learner have to come up with our own answers. We weren't given a manual on how to become a "global citizen." As we started the week with maps I was reminded of "The King and I" (I know it's just a movie) and how young Chulalongkorn brings a map of Siam to Anna as a gift. I really did not know that there were so many different maps printed from so many different perspectives! Looking East to West -- America isn't in the center and neither am I! Being others' minded, curious, kind and respectful -- THAT was the affirmation received this week.
Our TCC Salzburg team has really become like family! Clara, Julissa, Chandelle, Audrey and Katie will be moving on from TCC to change their world little-by-little and with great confidence! Clara has a quiet, confident spirit that translates to great care and concern as she travels internationally. Julissa took the "bull by the horns" with great control as she unexpectedly sat in front of a room full of people leading her groups presentation! Only we from TCC knew she felt she was out of her element -- and she did a marvelous job! Watch out New York!
How Chandelle and Audrey managed on so little sleep I'll never know! Chandelle is a marvelous "global" teacher to her children and will be able to open so many students' eyes when she gets in the classroom! Audrey has been an awesome teacher this week. She is the epitome of curiosity and respect of the people around her. Apple juice and macaroni and cheese are reminders for me of Audrey. Reminders I'm so glad to have as she begins a new journey in her life.
Melissa's world is changing -- it was so fun for me to watch her "discover again" some "loves" she'd forgotten about! Michelle is such a "people person!" There will be no containing her energy for her curiosity about people and the world. Katie is already so "well traveled" at her age. She has such a love for new experiences and is a young lady who will change her world starting with A&M! She changed my view from land to the mountain top and waited for me to catch up! Rusty, our "other" this week has truly been an inspiration and a gentleman. He, too is interested in ... everything! Without really intending to be, he was a magnet this week - meeting new people and answering questions in an unforgettable way!
Our fearless leaders, Dr. Wood and Carol prepared our team to do their best and we did! It was so fun to get to know these two women outside of the classroom. This TCC team of encouragers was such an inspiration to me. What a wonderful way to spend a week -- staying in a "real" castle -- relishing the beauty that God created in Salzburg -- learning from and meeting new people who would become friends from all over the world! This truly has been an experience of a life time and as said before by so many of our "team," a wonderful dream come true!
We've shared a glorious week and as Rusty has said so many times ... "Do you remember the times we went to Austria and spent a week in a castle?" Rusty, What a week to remember!