I'm back--in the suburban jungle of cookie-cutter brick houses, greasy fast-food conglomerates and multi-lane freeways. Do I want to be here? No, not really. I realized before I left that this was going to be a special week in a magical place...and it was. It felt almost like a dream for me. I had a small taste of everything I want to be connected to in the midst of an old and beautiful environment. I also knew that this seminar was only going to be a week long and I would be returning to my "real life" shortly.
So yes, I am back home in a place where I don't necessarily feel at home, but what keeps me inspired is that I feel like I took a little bit of that dream back with me. I acquired many things from different people and events during this trip.
My options were expanded--both mentally and geographically. I gained an appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen, embracing the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and lifestyles even within my own group of 11. I received realistic advice for my future from those who were a little further down the road. I developed relationships quickly with a wonderful group of people. I had the opportunity to be surrounded by a group that was there not out of obligation but because they cared and really wished to be. I spoke with staff and faculty with whom I would not normally have had a chance to meet, let alone exchange personal life stories with. I made eye contact. I let my imagination be carried away.
We spoke of tipping points during the seminar--an experience or moment that defines your future. I think this trip may have been a small tipping point for me. I know I always get the quiet label (I am!), but there was a lot of internal dialogue going on and I have a lot of things to think about within the next few months.
I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone considering it. Get out of your comfort zone! Stretch your perspectives and knowledge! Try something new!
I guarantee you won't regret it.
Clara
So yes, I am back home in a place where I don't necessarily feel at home, but what keeps me inspired is that I feel like I took a little bit of that dream back with me. I acquired many things from different people and events during this trip.
My options were expanded--both mentally and geographically. I gained an appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen, embracing the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and lifestyles even within my own group of 11. I received realistic advice for my future from those who were a little further down the road. I developed relationships quickly with a wonderful group of people. I had the opportunity to be surrounded by a group that was there not out of obligation but because they cared and really wished to be. I spoke with staff and faculty with whom I would not normally have had a chance to meet, let alone exchange personal life stories with. I made eye contact. I let my imagination be carried away.
We spoke of tipping points during the seminar--an experience or moment that defines your future. I think this trip may have been a small tipping point for me. I know I always get the quiet label (I am!), but there was a lot of internal dialogue going on and I have a lot of things to think about within the next few months.
I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone considering it. Get out of your comfort zone! Stretch your perspectives and knowledge! Try something new!
I guarantee you won't regret it.
Clara