Friday, May 30, 2008

New Perspective

Well, I’ve returned home, unpacked and am uploading a ridiculous amount of pictures and videos onto my computer.

The seminar was eye-opening. While I was there, I knew it was special, but I didn’t realize to what extent it impacted me until today and last night after coming home and hearing people talk about world issues. I now have an awareness to look up what they are saying and not just automatically believe what they say. Also I know how to research issues much better thanks to our research project.

One thing I especially enjoyed was hearing Annette Kobak (author of Joe’s War: My Father Decoded) speak about her relationship with her father and hearing his views of WWII and writing a book about it. My father was in the Vietnam War and only recently has he started talking about his experiences. Hearing Annette inspired me to write down everything he says about the war (more so than I had already been). It is important for us to hear from those who witnessed things first-hand...and to remember what they say.

I want to thank those who made this opportunity possible! It was a fantastic journey through Europe as well as intellectual discovery.