Thursday, May 22, 2008

ह्ह्फ़ असद

You would imagine that after spending almost two days now with very little sleep I would run up to my room and pass out. Instead, I am using the computers at the Meierhof, where our very spacious rooms are located across the Schloss, with a few classmates close by, to write about my experiences thus far.

The Munich airport is amazing. That pretty much summed it all up. Modern. Clean. Quiet. Beautiful. I wish we could have had the chance to explore the city of Munchen, or at least drive through it. But after arriving there, we got on two vans and drove about 2 and a half hours to Salzburg. The scenery on the way here was absolutely incredible. Most of the roads looked like they had just been placed in the middle of a forest or farms or local towns. I loved seeing the way the roads are made here. On the way, most of the them were one-lane roads, and there usually sideways for bikes. And they were actually being used!

The people so far have been very nice and polite. Everyone speaks English, which just makes me sad that I haven't picked up a lot of German, because I know I should attempt it.

I haven't had a chance to explore Salzburg yet, but we are doing a "self-paced" walking tour of the city tomorrow and I can't wait! It looks beautiful. Oh. The Schloss is fantastic. The building holds so much history and beauty, and the area around it is luscious green and, dare I say, inspiring. The weather, too, has been refreshing. It was about 55 degrees today. A nice change from Fort Worth.

I just got out of our session on Ethnocentrism, and though at first everyone was a little quiet, the conversation began to get really interesting and engaging. It really woke me up (I'm a little tired, as you can imagine). The session was much more interesting than I expected, and I hope that after we get to know the other students, discussions will be increasingly enjoyable and informative.

Well, I need sleep now.
- Julissa