Sunday, May 25, 2008

Remembering...

Today's visit to the Dachau Memorial was very informative with an overload of information and quite depressing as I walked around trying to imagine what life was like there. Standing on the same grounds that were once stood on by both Nazis and prisioners brought everything I had ever read or seen about the war into perspective for me. I shed many tears while viewing the crematories because it sadden me to know that there was no respect and dignity for those who lost their lives; and not a guilty conscious from those who took the lives. To see two different areas of crematories, the rooms that led to the gas chamber, and the pistol range for excution with a blood ditch was horiffic. Just knowing that the deaths of these prisioners was thought and planned out carefully made me shed even more tears. The lesson from seeing this is that all it takes for the evil to flourish and prosper is for the for the good to do nothing.