I believe this was the third day that we have had group work...maybe the second... I can't really recall because time is in a strange mood. The work is going well. My group has to discuss how the immigration of Algerians into France and their history together have made an impact politically, socially, economically, etc (as well as discuss a few other things) in France. It has been good to learn about the two countries and how they are interconnected.
Dachau...
We arrived around 11:30am. Some people stayed together but most split up (I was one of the latter). I walked around and took pictures. After visiting everything except the museum, I visited the Crematorium. From the horror of that, a nauseating feeling came over me so I went back to the little bus stop on Karl Reimer Street (named after the prisoner who escaped and told the U.S. troops that there was a concentration camp) and people-watched for about an hour. Then I went back into the site at 2:00pm to see the informative video in English that was playing at that time. I am glad I did!
The thing which got me the most (aside from the Crematorium) was the Jewish Religious Memorial. Dr. Wood put up a picture showing it... it's the one with the light shining from the hole in the top of what felt like a well. It was such a striking view of their perception while in Dachau...the feeling of no escape.
It would be very hard to make this post upbeat, but to end on a positive note...Dachua Concentration Camp Memorial Site was a very rewarding experience and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to visit it.