Friday, May 23, 2008

Butter doesn't taste this well in Texas


I have dined in the most beautiful halls, and have breathed the most wonderful and crip air and I have had some of the most wonderful conversations among people that look nothing like myself. I even watched the "Simpsons" in German today!

We went to the gardens today and traveled the city. At the gardens people were laughing and singing, there was even a band. It was wonderful! I saw the home of Mozart and even grabbed a few souvenirs for the family. While at the garden I noticed a little boy straying from his family and my motherly instinct kicked in, I had grabbed the boy from running away before I even knew it. The mother and I had made eye contact and without any common language, we knew that he was going to make a run for it.(That's the kid pre-runaway)

Tonight we sat in front of the fireplace. The professors and staff are so "down to earth" and inviting. We laughed and talked about everything from race relations to being a mother (and great-grandmother in some cases). We started on our small group projects, my group has the France and Algerian immigration. Difficult, be very intriguing. There are so many things that I am learning in this small amount of time and it has only been two days. I was really interessted in speaking with Champa Patel, just listening to her speak at a distance I want to learn more about her. Norman Yetman is amazing too, I've never been so comfortable speaking about my culture to anyone and would have never thought in a million years that I could express my concerns and be understood by him!