So I said I would start packing last Wednesday. It is now Monday, and I have not yet found my suitcase…I love packing! I usually end up packing the night before…but then again, I’ve never gone overseas! And not for this long either, without laundry service =/… This is truly going to be a challenge for me…trying to pack only the necessities. I am so excited though!
I’m not sure quite what to expect from this experience except that it is going to be amazing! I imagine it will be very busy and even more thought provoking. I know I’ll be completely engrossed in the lectures given because this sort of thing absolutely fascinates me. I’m so excited to be spending the week and working with everyone from our group and from the other school. I can’t wait to meet the students from Austria either. I’m looking forward to the tea breaks! I think that’s so wonderful…I love tea.
I feel so extremely lucky to have this opportunity…it still blows me away. I know that once I get there, I probably won’t want to leave, but I know that I’ll get so much out of it. I can’t wait to take everything I’ll learn and start applying it to my everyday perspective of things at home and globally. It might even guide me in the rest of my college career.
I’m especially excited to start my experimentations for my final in interpersonal communication. I got the lucky draw of physical space. I can already picture just how much fun I can have with that! I got so many ideas from Dee when we broke apart in groups. There are so many different circumstances involved with physical space and how we use it…whether it be gender, relationship, culture or age. I plan on trying out as many different combinations as possible. So beware, you might be the subject of one of my experiments! I’m also going to be doing a lot of observing to see just how everyone interacts and I want to watch the progression that occurs as the week goes on. I’d like to see how much the use of space alters as everyone gets to know each other and then compare the beginning of the week to the end. I think it’ll be especially fun once the banquet rolls around. It’ll be interesting to see how people in our group interact with each other, with the other group and how our culture will interact with that of the Austrians’. After the Space Invaders assignment we did, I’m sure I can come up with some pretty interesting situations.
Overall I just can’t wait to be on a different continent, walking through some of the oldest, history packed streets, in what I keep hearing is one of the most beautiful countries…I’m anxious to see how I’ll respond to the jet lag. And I can’t wait to see if Carol and I will actually discover who the American Idol is before we land the plane!!
For now…I just found my suitcase…so I’m going to give packing another try. More later…