Friday, May 16, 2008

I've Never ...

Well ... I've never "blogged" before, never been to Austria, never participated in anything like the Salzburg Seminar and never, ever dreamed I'd really see "Maria's Mountain!"

Yesterday's meeting at Starbucks was a wonderful prelude and preparation time for the Salzburg Seminar. I am looking forward to our experiencing Salzburg together as a team. Carol and Dr. Wood have done such a wonderful job through their teaching and assignments to prepare us as we interact with each other and others from around the world. They've taught well, now I just hope that I've learned well!

I've just finished my journal for Interpersonal Communications and next plan to research and as Carol says, "become an expert" (ahem) on "Cultural Differences in Intimacy and Intimacy in Computer-Mediated Communication." I will be studying the people around me and how they interact in social relationships as well as investigating how computer-mediated communication (CMC) can be just as personal as face-to-face interaction.

There is still quite a bit of reading for me to do in preparation for the discussions of world events and cultural perspectives. I'm a little nervous about the expected work but am looking forward to meeting new people, working with our TCC team, and participating in cultural exchange activities in Austria and Germany. I know that our visit to the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial will be somber experience.

After seeing pictures of the Salzburg Global Seminar library online, I'm really looking forward to using the resources there! I worked in a very small library for 16 years ... studying in this library is going to be ... Oh my! If you haven't looked at the pictures of Schloss Leopoldskron ... DO! This is definitely NOT a sight-seeing trip, but I'm hoping to see Mozart's birthplace too. I'm taking my camera so I'll be zapping lots of pictures of the grounds at the Schloss and am hoping that I can get in a position to take pictures of Salzburgs land and cityscape. If the TCC team is willing, I'll be snapping their pictures as they are working on their assignments and enjoying the air of Austria! I won't be able to download pictures in Austria though (sniff, sniff) the files are too large and I take WAY too many!

I'm almost packed ... Katie, I borrowed my daughter's rain jacket! She wore it when she was in Salzburg in 2003 on "holiday." I need to leave a little room just in case there's time to shop a little. I'd really like to bring home some Christmas ornaments from Salzburg. Hmmm ... I collect clocks ... I wonder how much it would cost to ship an Austrian clock to Texas? Sssshhh ... I haven't told my sweet hubby yet!

I'm really trying very hard to maintain some self-control and be giddy about getting on a plane to go to a foreign country with 11 new friends that I'm looking forward to knowing better! I'm trying to maintain some self-control at the possibility of seeing sights that the von Trapp family saw before their immigration to the United States. I saw "The Sound of Music" in 1968 (now you know that I'm an oldie) and have been intrigued by their story ever since. If you hear "The Hills Are Alive" next Thursday -- know that it's me living out a dream from long ago as I twirl like Maria did on the mountain! Even if we don't have time to take "The Sound of Music Tour," I WILL be singing next week!

So ... like have I written too much for a "blog?" Audrey and Michelle, after our discussion yesterday, I KNOW that you are great bloggers! You're going to have to help me! It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to even start this post. Well TCC team, I'm thinking about you all as you pack and am looking forward to reading your posts. See you on Wednesday my friends!

In Him,

Dee